I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Bourbon Steak

I was talking to a friend in Des Moines lately and he was telling me all about the virtues of Steak de Burgo - a method of preparing steak that is unique to Des Moines. It is a pretty big deal around there and it sounded pretty simple to make. I was at home alone while the wife and baby were in Iowa and I was hungry for a steak. I thought about making Steak de Burgo but I couldn't find a recipe because I wasn't spelling it correctly. DOH!

I still wanted a steak and I wanted something unusual. I decided to make my own version of steak au poivre with a few modifications. I don't like the tri-colored pepper corns included in that recipe. It gives the meat the faint smell of cattle farts. I got rid of those and added some capers, some fresh tomatoes from my San Marzano plant. I also deglazed the pan with bourbon to make it a little more authentic to Louisville.

A word on cuts of steak - my 2 favorites right now, in order, are the glorious T-Bone and the scrumptious bone-in ribeye. I like fillets as much as anyone. Fillets give you a predictably tender cut of meat but they seem to be lacking in the soul and flavor departments. T-bones have a marvelous tang about them that just screams meaty goodness.

Bourbon Steak
(Makes enough for one person)


A big T-bone steak
about 1 T fresh coarsely ground black peppercorns - Tellicherry preferred
Sea Salt

For the sauce:
2 T butter - homemade preferred
1 shallot, sliced
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 T capers
1/4 cup cream
1 roma tomato, diced
pinch dried basil
pinch dried oregano

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.

To make the sauce sautee the shallots and garlic in butter until soft. Add the cream and cook until reduced to a nice thick sauce. Add the rest of the ingredients and keep the sauce warm.

To make the steak salt both sides of the steak and press the ground pepper into one side of the steak. Pour a small amount of olive oil into the hot skillet, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Drop the steak in, pepper side down. Sear the steak for 4-5 minutes without moving it. Flip the steak with tongs and cook for another minute or so for medium. Use your judgment here. Remove the steak to a plate.

Deglaze the skillet by dropping 1 shot of bourbon into the pan. It will sizzle and bring up lots of steaky goodness from the pan. Dump the deglazed bourbon into the cream sauce and stir. Pour the cream sauce over the steak and serve. Booyah!


Suggested listening music: Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle.