I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hot Bulgar Dish

I am a huge fan of all things bulgur. Needless to say I was excited to taste a dish new to me on our trip to South Dakota. My naughty cousin made a hot bulgur dish which was amazingly tasty.
She sent us the recipe a while ago and we are just now getting around to making it. I think this recipe came from Gourmet magazine.

BULGAR WITH ONION, TOMATO, AND FETA
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup coarse (#3) bulgur
1 teaspoon dried Aleppo (crushed red pepper)
1 large ripe tomato, grated (see cooks' note, below)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups water or chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup crumbled feta (5 oz)

Garnish: chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Cook onion in oil in a 2-quart saucepan over moderate heat until softened. Stir in bulgur and chile flakes until coated. Add tomato, sugar, and water and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until bulgur is tender and creamy (like risotto), about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup feta and season with salt. Top with remaining cup feta.

Cooks note:
• In Greece, instead of skinning and chopping tomatoes, cooks cut them in half and grate them on the large holes of a four-sided grater. The tomato skins are left behind.