I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Spicy Egg Strata

You can only eat so many fried eggs, scrambled eggs and omelets. At some point you have to branch out. Tonight I made a dish that I first had at a corner deli in Chicago. I spiced it up considerably from what I was served.

Spicy Egg Strata

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 green pepper, sliced into rings
1 shallot, sliced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 small hot peppers like a cayenne or serrano, diced
about 1/4 cup Jimmy Dean sausage, crumbled and cooked
2 Italian sausages, fully cooked and sliced
1/2 t powdered mustard seed
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1 tomato sliced thin
grated pepper jack cheese

Put the Jimmy Dean in the bottom of a baking dish. Add the diced hot peppers and garlic and stir up real well. Saute the green pepper slices and shallot until getting soft. Add the peppers and shallots on top of the sausage. Add the Italian sausage slices next.

Beat the eggs, milk and spices. Pour over the sausage/peppers etc. Top with grated cheese. Finally lay on the tomato slices.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the top is browning.