I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Devil's Tower!


You may recall that on our way to Devil's Tower we stopped by a little restaurant in Sundance Wyoming called Higbee's. They served a specialty dish called the Devil's tower. It was a biscuit with a piece of sausage and a fried egg, doused in sausage gravy. I have been hungry for one lately and it just so happens that I have some homemade buttermilk on hand for the biscuits. There are probably 18 recipes for buttermilk biscuits on this site and everyone knows how to fry an egg and sausage. I'll just list my recipe for sausage gravy
Sausage Gravy

a little bit of sausage
4T flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

In a saucepan brown your sausage. Remove the sausage leaving the grease behind. If there isn't any grease then drop in a tablespoon of butter. Add the flour and stir real well to create a lumpy mess on the bottom of the pan. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Return the sausage to the pan along with some salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer until the gravy thickens up a bit.