I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Pizza Supreme Soup

When I was back in the hometown recently we stopped by a restaurant and had dinner. I was pleasantly surprised that the food was medium-tasty. Scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a solid 7. I had a salad and an interesting soup. It really did remind me quite a bit of pizza without the carbohydrates. I decided to see if I could figure it out.
Pizza Supreme Soup

1/2 pound Italian sausage, ground
3 ounces (about 1/2 cup) pepperoni, diced (have to buy it in a stick instead of pre-sliced)
1/2 onion, diced
2 sticks celery, chopped
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, pressed
14 oz can of beef broth
2 cups water
1 T tomato paste
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons basil
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded mozzarella

Brown the sausage and drain grease really well. Saute the onion, green pepper, garlic and celery in a little olive oil very briefly. Add the rest of the ingredients, including cooked sausage and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies and mushrooms (fungi) are soft - about 20-30 minutes. To serve put soup in a bowl and drop a little mozzarella in.