I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Artichoke Chicken and Forgotten Great Movies

I was hungry for something with artichokes and chicken. I did a google search for artichoke chicken and found a few recipes that looked good, but none of them fit perfectly. I decided to make my own version with the ingredients that I was craving.

I also want to bring to the readers' attention to great movies that have been all but forgotten by popular culture. The first is Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America. It came out in 1984 and has an amazing cast including James Woods, Robert DiNero and tons of others.





The second is Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. Released in 1975 it stars Ryan O'Neal. Both movies are absolute must see. If you haven't seen them you would be well advised to rent or buy them ASAP.







Artichoke Chicken

2 chicken breasts, halved and pounded thin

a few tablespoons olive oil

1 cup wine to deglaze pan

1 onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, whole

1 box fresh sliced mushrooms
basil, oregano, thyme
1 jar pimentos
14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 T butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cream or half and half or milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375. Slice chicken breasts in half to make 2 thin chicken pieces per breast. Pound thin with a meat hammer. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and brown chicken pieces on each side. Set chicken pieces aside. Deglaze the pan by pouring 1 cup wine into the pan. Save the wine and set aside. To make the sauce, melt 2 T butter in a saucepan. Add flour and stir to make a thick roux. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and the wine that was used to deglaze the chicken pan. Bring to a boil and cook until it thickens a little bit. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Add cream and remove from heat.
Assembly


Combine the chicken, mushrooms, onion, garlic, herbs, artichoke hearts, and pimentos in a baking dish. Pour the sauce over the top. Bake, uncovered, until vegis are done and sauce is thickening significantly - about 1 hour. Serve with rice or pasta or not.