I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Greek Baked Beans

A while ago I got a good Greek cookbook from Amazon.com called The Complete Greek Cookbook. I have featured several dishes directly from the book on this site and I have used a lot of the recipes in the book as additions and guides for other recipes. This month's Cuisine At Home magzine came. They have great recipes and ideas in the magizine. There was a recipe for Greek Baked Beans in the magazine this month. Intrigued I looked up the recipe in my cookbook. It was an almost verbatum reproduction! I decided to give it a try. I changed things around just slightly to make it fit more to my tastes.

Greek Baked Beans

2 cans Canellini beans
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 T tomato paste
2 T vinegar
3 T honey
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
2 whole cloves
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t ground oregano

Preheat oven to 375. Make the sauce by heating olive oil in a saucepan. Saute the onions. Add remaining ingredients except beans and parmesan. Bring to a boil. Mix in beans and pour into a shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes. When beans are done sprinkle top with the cheeses.