I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Ali Baba Chicken

Here is a dish that is one of my favorites. I can't remember where I first ate the dish but it was a long time ago in a restaraunt in New York. I did a little research and came up with my own version of the dish. I know that readers will be shocked by the amount of garlic in this dish. NOT TO WORRY. Because you leave the cloves of garlic whole, it doesn't taste all that garlicy. To test my theory I served this dish to my grandmother on the sly. She had no idea that there was garlic in the recipe at all, let alone that it contained such a massive amount. I'll let you do your own experiments and see for yourself. Sometimes it takes a little courage to cook truly tasty food.

Ali Baba Chicken

Combine in a bowl:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 T paprika
1 T kosher salt
1 T black pepper

In another bowl beat 1 egg and 1 T milk.

In another bowl place about 1 cup very finely ground croutons.

Split chicken breasts in half to make thin pieces of meat. Pound with a meat hammer. Dip chicken breasts first in flour, then in egg, then in the croutons. Brown in 3 T olive oil. Remove chicken to a cookie sheet. When all of your chicken pieces are done bake them in the oven at 375 until cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile add to the chicken pan and Saute:
40 cloves garlic, peeled
3 stalks celery, diced
1 medium yellow onion, sliced

After vegies are sauteed, add:
1 cup dry white wine
14 oz can chicken broth
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or about 1/2 t dried)
2 sprigs fresh thyme (Or about 1/2 t dried
2 bay leaves

Put chicken on top of vegies and bring to a simmer. Cover pan, transfer to a 375 degree oven and cook 45 minutes.


Notes: That is probably WAY too much flour/paprika mixture. I did 3 half chicken breasts with this split in half again so 6 pieces and there was a ton left over. The croutons are just about right for that amount of meat.