I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Holy Machine Guns Batman!

Today your author braved the rain and some serious rednecks to report on a Kentucky phenomenon - the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. Most of my readers will have no idea that they can purchase and shoot a fully automatic machine gun, let alone that the largest machine gun shoot happens not 30 minutes from where I am living right now. Twice a year people from all over the country make their way to a firing range just outside of Louisville called Knob Creek. If you can ever make it down I would highly recommend it, although not for the faint of heart.

It was cold and rainy today but that didn't stop thousands of people from hitting the range.
I had to park on the highway about a mile and a half away and walk in under an umbrella. I could have driven to a lot a little closer but it was muddy and all kinds of people were getting comically stuck.

Before I get to the meat of the post let me state that I grew up shooting guns and toting knives. What I saw today was truly far beyond my experience. Here is the first thing I encountered walking into the range:
Yes readers, that is a FLAMETHROWER RENTAL STAND!!!!!!!
I know that a lot of my readers are saying, yeah right, the guy is full of crap. There is no such thing. Thankfully, your author was carrying a high quality camera with a telephoto lens.
A few of you skeptics are probably saying 'yeah right. I've heard it all before, you can rent the flamethrower but you can't shoot it.' Please observe:
HE IS USING THE FLAMETHROWER ON A CAR!!!!!
Here are some more action shots:
You think thats crazy? How about the fact that the security guards were using the flamethrower to dry off from the rain.
Oh My Gawd!

Some of my readers may remember when I first started hiking in Kentucky. At the time I was very careful when hiking. I did not want to fall victim to any Deliverance type behavior. You remember? "He's got a real purdy mouth on him don't he?"
I figured I would be safe with a cell-phone and a Buck knife, but after learning that Hillbillies can actually be FIREPROOF, I started looking for a bigger, badder knife. One of my friends in Des Moines collects these gigantic knives from Busse Combat Knives. They are all made from some ridiculous steel called INFI. You can't just go to a store and buy one of these. If you are lucky and click fast enough, you might be able to order one before the million other people trying get it first. I was lucky enough to order a Busse Badger. It is about the right size for me to carry on a hike and use as a general purpose knife. The only drawback is that you have to wait 3 or 4 months to get your knife and then it doesn't come with a sheath. I ordered a custom left-handed sheath for my knife as well. I'm not sure when that stuff will come.

I read that Busse would be exhibiting and selling knives at the machine gun shoot so I decided to stop by.
The guys at the booth were actually the guys who make and sell the knives. They were so approachable and nice it was unbelievable. They had a lot of knives for sale but I didn't buy one.

I really liked the small knife at the tip of the arrow above.

Now for the guns. Yes they are automatic machine guns. Yes you can rent one to shoot it. Yes you can buy one if you want and take it home. Enjoy the rest of the photos!