I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cold Kentucky Rain

In light of the recent cold Kentucky rain, I decided to make something from an Elvis cookbook. I am a big fan of breakfast food but I just don't like eating breakfast. I decided to whip up some corned beef hash. I didn't have any corned beef handy so I used a slice of country ham instead.

Corned Beef, Potato and Pepper Hash a la Elvis

1 t salt
1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 T butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup diced red or green bell pepper
12 oz cooked corned beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 T chopped parsley
1/4 cup half and half
3 T white wine
1/2 t dry mustard
black pepper to taste

Boil the potatoes for 7 minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
Melt 1 T butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until tender. Dump everything together in a bowl and stir well. Reheat the frying pan over medium heat. Add the remaining butter. Add the hash mixture and press it down firmly. Cook hash for 15 minutes or until it is well browned, turning it once with a spatula.