I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Sunday Pizzas

We made two pizzas on Sunday. I am using my NY-style pizza recipe and processing now. I am trying to make a bunch of pizzas with different topping combinations to see if my good results are reproducible over time. The first pizza I made was a sausage, mushroom and soprasetta pizza. Soprasetta is an Italian dried sausage that is really tasty. If I were going to do something different I would have the soprasetta sliced at the deli instead of hand slicing it. I thought it ended up a little thick.



Here is a closeup of the slice.



The other pizza I made was one of my favorites - taco pizza. When I was a kid we always used to eat at Godfather's Pizza on our birthdays. My favorite pizza they made was taco pizza. It was basically just a sausage pizza that they dressed with crushed tortilla chips, lettuce and diced tomatoes when it came out of the oven. They served it with Heinz taco sauce. The other place that made taco pizza in town was a small local bar. The only thing they did different was to add refried beans, but it made all the difference in the world.

To make a taco pizza I use taco sauce as the pizza sauce. I put down just a thin smear of refried beans. Then I just add little balls of cooked Italian sausage and mozzarella and bake. When it comes out of the oven I crumble some yellow tortilla chips over the top and finish it with lettuce and diced tomato.



Both pizzas had a great crust. The crusts had all the characteristics I am shooting for in my NY style pizza. Here is a cutaway of the crust showing the different sized bubbles.