I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Midwestern Spaghetti

The spaghetti I ate growing up was not really what most people would consider authentic Italian spaghetti. It comes from a recipe that has been handed down over generations. I don't make it all the time but sometimes it really hits the spot.

Midwestern Spaghetti

1 pound hamburger
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 stalked celery, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1 t basil (more if you feel like it)
1 t oregano (more if you feel like it)
1 t paprika

Brown hamburger. Add vegis and stir until just starting to soften. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. Serve over spaghetti.

It should look like this:


Here is a big fan of midwestern spaghetti: