I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Sloppy Joes - good baby food

In pursuit of the never ending quest to fatten the baby, I made some food that she likes. She really likes sloppy joes. I posted a recipe for this earlier but I didn't have a picture. The last time I made fried cabbage she ate a whole plateful but this time she tasted it and fed the rest to the dog - with disastrous consequence.

Sloppy Joes

1 pound hamburger
1 small (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
1 T chili powder
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T prepared yellow mustard
a few cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
a few dashes of hot sauce - I like Louisiana Hot Sauce brand but use what you like

Brown the hamburger and garlic, but instead of using oil, use a little water in the bottom of the pan to keep the hamburger from sticking to the pan. As you are browning it, mash up the hamburger using a potato masher until it is very finely mashed. When the hamburger is browned, drain it really well. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally so that it doesn't stick to the pan. Assess the situation. If there is too much liquid then cook uncovered for a little bit. Serve on buns with optional dill hamburger slice pickles.