I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sloppy Joes

Maid-Rites are an Iowa thing. Sloppy Joes are an Iowa thing as well. If you have never eaten at a Maid-Rite shop, you are really missing out.

I think sloppy joes started during the depression when there wasn't much food around and people didn't have any money. If you wanted to feed your family you had to find a way to stretch a cheap source of protein - hamburger. Sloppy Joes are basically hamburger that has been cooked with tomato sauce and other stuff added in to stretch the meat. They have been a staple of every public school menu since their invention in the 1930's.

Maid-Rites are sloppy joes without the tomato product added. You have to eat at a Maid-rite to be able to appreciate the true glory that is a Maid-Rite. At some point I will publish the recipe that I got from a guy that actually owns a Maid-rite. It is actually very simple with few ingredients. Its all about the method.

Tonight we are having sloppy joes. The baby loves sloppy joes and we are looking to fatten her up a bit. She is at the 6th percentile for weight despite 3 months of supplementation with Ensure. Here is an easy recipe that I am sure you will love.

Sloppy Joes

1 pound hamburger
1 small (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
1 T chili powder
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T prepared yellow mustard
a few cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
a few dashes of hot sauce - I like Louisiana Hot Sauce brand but use what you like

Brown the hamburger and garlic, but instead of using oil, use a little water in the bottom of the pan to keep the hamburger from sticking to the pan. As you are browning it, mash up the hamburger using a potato masher until it is very finely mashed. When the hamburger is browned, drain it really well. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally so that it doesn't stick to the pan. Assess the situation. If there is too much liquid then cook uncovered for a little bit. Serve on buns with optional dill hamburger slice pickles.