I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Camping food part 4

Saturday morning we had buttermilk pancakes. I got the recipe from my great grandmother, who got it probably from her great grandmother. I have tried other pancake recipes and I see no need to make any other kinds, unless you want some buckwheat pancakes. I have her recipe for those as well. One of the secrets to these pancakes is that they are cooked with the skillet just barely coated with bacon grease. Another is that you don't want to make them too big. Somewhere between baseball and softball size is about perfect. Also I don't like to have the batter too thick. I prefer my pancakes a little thinner and less bready. Finally, if you have the time and remember, it is always good to make up the batter the night before and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. It isn't necessary but it just adds one more little bit of interest to the flavor. And without further ado:

The Buttermilk Pancake Recipe

3 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs
2 T sugar
2 t baking soda
1 pinch salt

Mix everything up. A few lumps is OK and even preferred by some. These are best made with a light coating of bacon grease on the frying pan or griddle. Not too much though, you want pancakes not pan-fried fritters.