I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pad Thai

I found an amazing video on preparing pad Thai.

The video shows a lady on a boat in Thailand. On the boat she has a little gas powered burner, a wok and an assortment of ingredients. We have been long time fans of pad Thai. I wanted to make her exact version but I lacked a few ingredients. I couldn't find any tamarind sauce. I used to have a bottle but it got thrown out for the move. I couldn't find any palm sugar either. Also I don't like fish sauce. I made something similar last night to go with Hawaiian Pork Chops.

Pad Thai

Sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T oil
4 T brown sugar
1 T brown bean sauce
1 T red curry paste
2 T soy sauce
a squirt of ketchup
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 cup water

Briefly saute garlic in oil. Add the red curry paste and cook for a couple minutes. Drop in the rest of the ingredients and simmer until sauce thickens.

I also made some red tofu. To make that, cut firm tofu into chunks. Place in a bowl with a little water. Add a few drops of red food coloring and let soak until the pieces are nice and red.

Other ingredients you will need:
peanut oil
finely chopped red onion
Cooked rice noodles
bean sprouts
2 eggs
chopped peanuts
chopped green onions
chopped chives
lime slices

Heat peanut oil in a wok. Drop in tofu and fry briefly. Drop in 2 eggs and scramble. Add noodles and sauce. Stir until noodles are well coated. Next add half of your peanuts, half of the green onions, all of the chives and all of the red onions. Stir until well combined. Place into a bowl.

To serve, top the noodles with the remaining bean sprouts, green onions and peanuts. Squeeze a little lime juice over the top. Serve a few lime slices with the noodles.

Labels: