I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Humboldt Cheese Steaks

I was out running this morning when I got an overwhelming craving for a cheese steak. Readers may remember that I absolutely love them and I have done a considerable amount of research on the subject. I even have gone so far as to fly to Philadelphia for a sampling.

The problem was that I didn't have any decent meat to use for the steaks. I have been on a real cube steak kick lately. I have this great needling tool that tenderizes meat like crazy.
A few passes of the tenderizer on some round steak and I was in business!


Humboldt Cheese Steaks
Makes 3 sandwiches

1 pound round steak, tenderized with the needler and cut into strips
seasoning salt (sprinkled over cut up meat)
1/2 onion, diced
butter
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce

3 slices cheap processed cheese, like Velveta
buns, buttered and grilled and dashed with garlic salt

1) Melt a couple tablespoons of butter and saute the onions until nice and done. I like to shoot for caramelization.
2) Remove the onions from the pan but leave the butter.
3) Turn up the heat a little and add a little more butter.
4) Brown the meat in the butter.
5) Return the onions to the pan.
6) Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce
7) Cook, uncovered, until sauce thickens up a little bit and everything is nice and hot.

To serve, put the meat on the bun and spoon a little sauce over. Add a slice of cheese on the top. Let sit until the cheese melts.

Labels: