I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Panaeng Beef Curry

The other night we were hungry for a Thai curry dish. One of my favorites is Panaeng curry. Here is a really tasty recipe.

Panaeng Beef Curry

3 T vegi oil
2 T red curry paste
3/4 pound beef, thinly sliced
1 (14 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
2 T brown bean sauce or black bean sauce
1 T brown sugar
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup peanuts, finely chopped
1/2 bell pepper cut into thin strips
fresh basil sprigs

Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and the curry paste. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, adjusting the heat to keep the paste sizzling gently without popping and splashing. Add the beef and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring well to coat each piece. Stir in 1 cup of the coconut milk. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 10 minutes. Finally add the remaining coconut, bean sauce, sugar, salt and peanuts. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust salt and sugar.
Transfer to a small bowl. Garnish with basil.