I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Calzones!

I never had a calzone growing up in Iowa. It wasn't until I was in medical school in Chicago that I laid into a calzone. The one that I had in Chicago wasn't all that great. It was oven baked and dry and they didn't serve it with any sauce. It was what my wife's old students would have called a "choke." A choke was a sandwich served as school lunch with no sauce of any kind.

I did a little research into calzones and saw something that might be interesting - a fried calzone! What could be tastier and more appropriate to the Midwest than a deep fat fried pizza?

Calzones

Makes 2 calzones

1 3/4 Cups Flour (202 g)
A little over 1/2 cup Water (127 g)
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t olive oil
1/2 package instant yeast

Combine all ingredients in a mixer and kneed using the dough hook for 6 minutes on medium speed. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size.

When dough has doubled in size, heat a frying pan over medium heat with about 1/4-1/2 inch oil in the bottom. Divide dough into two balls. Flatten into round pizza shapes, about 12 inches a piece. Spread some toppings on 1/2 of the pizza. I used pizza sauce, sausage and mozarella tonight. When all the toppings are on fold the pizza over on itself, forming a pocket. Press the edges to seal. Use a fork to mash the edge to make a neat little design (see photo below).

Fry in the oil, turning once. Make sure to not let it get overdone. Let cool 5 minutes before eating. Serve with a little side of marinara.
So tasty, so pizza-y, so deep fat fried!