I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sloppy Joes Revisited

We have some leftover hamburger buns so I thought I would make another kind of sloppy Joe. This recipe is similar to Maid Rite sandwiches. There is no tomato sauce or anything like that. The secret is that instead of using oil to brown the hamburger, you put a little water in the bottom of the skillet. When everything is nice and browned you pour off all the liquid and viola - non-greasy delicious loose meat sandwiches!

Maid Rites

1 pound hamburger
1 small onion, finely diced
salt and pepper to taste

Put a little water in the bottom of a skillet and brown the hamburger and diced onion, adding more water as needed to keep the hamburger from burning. While you are browning the hamburger, use a potato masher to mash things up very finely so that the meat pieces are no bigger than a grain of rice. When everything is cooked add salt and pepper to taste and drain well. To serve scoop meat onto a bun. At the restaraunt they come with mustard and pickle but you can add any toppings you want.