I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Holiday Party Cinnamon Rolls

We were invited to a holiday party on Friday and we were supposed to bring a dessert. I thought about making a cheesecake but decided it would be awful expensive to make something that is going to get gobbled. I decided to try another recipe from my favorite bread book The Bread Baker's Apprentice. He has a great recipe for cinnamon rolls.

Cinnamon Rolls

6 1/2 T sugar
1 t salt
5 1/2 T butter
1 egg
1 t vanilla
3 1/2 cups (16 ounces) bread flour
1 package instant yeast
1 cup buttermilk plus extra if needed

Put all of those ingredients into a mixer and using a dough hook, kneed 10 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise about 2 hours or until double in size. Next roll out the dough out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Melt some butter and brush it on over the dough. Sprinkle the dough with cinnamon and sugar. Roll the dough up and pinch the seam to seal it. Use a piece of dental floss to slice the rolled up log into rolls. Place the rolls onto a greased cookie sheet and let rise about 1 hour until double in size. Bake at 350 for around 20 minutes or longer. You want the rolls to be cooked and just starting to brown but not very much.

To make the frosting mix 4 cups powdered sugar with 6 T milk and 1 t vanilla. Mix until smooth, adding a little more milk if needed to make it the right consistency.