I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Grandma's Ham Sandwich Recipe

Now given that this recipe is from around the time of WW2, and meat was fairly scarce, and ham was probably extremely pricey, I would venture a guess to say that the recipe probably came off of a can of spam. Although it has been demonized lately, Spam was actually quite a popular product back in the day. Spam even has its own website. I bet you can't guess which state eats the most Spam. Well as it turns out, Hawaii enjoys the most. There is even a cookbook from Hawaii called Hawaii's Spam Cookbook. I have also seen other spam cookbooks in gift shops and the like.

Now its time for the recipe:

Muriel's Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches

½ pound cubed boiled ham
½ pound cheddar cheese (mild)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
2 hard boiled eggs
½ c stuffed olives
3 T mayonaise
½ c chili sauce (not hot sauce but Heinz Chili sauce, two totally different entities)

Combine ingredients, put onto buns. Wrap buns in tin foil. Cook 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

Mine are in the oven as we speak. In ten minutes I am going to be putting some serious hurting on a ham sandwich and a piece of squash!