I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Acorn Squash Recipe

One of the things we will be having tonight is acorn squash. I remember when I was a kid the only time we saw acorn squash was in the fall. Now you can get acorn squash just about any time of year, but its quality varies widely throughout the year, depending on where it has been grown and how long it has to ride in a crate to get to your plate.

When we lived in Chicago I was treated to dinner at Charlie Trotter's twice. I will never forget those meals. The whole experience was incredible. He serves dishes that are in season, and both times I ate there it was in the fall. Consequently there was a lot of squash served. I loved his food so much that I bought one of his cookbooks Charlie Trotter's Vegetables. I have to say that the recipes in that book take some time to prepare but they are all delicious. I will occasionally make one or two dishes from the book when we have company.

The Method
Well here is my method for making acorn squash. My recipe is for 1 squash, which should serve 2 people. I split the squash down the middle and scoop out the seeds. Then I put both halves face down in a bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Then I poke a few holes in the plastic wrap and put it in the microwave for 15 minutes. Your microwave may cook faster or it may cook slower depending on how strong it is. A good guide is 10 to 20 minutes. You'll know that it is done when it is soft enough to eat. I know some people might consider microwaving food to be a travesty, but it is tough to beat the microwave for cooking acorn squash. It literally steams in its own juices.

Next I preheat the broiler in the oven. While the oven is heating I take 3 tablespoons of butter and put it in a bowl. Add to the bowl 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Then microwave the bowl until the butter is melted. Take that mixture and put some of it into each squash. Then put the squashes face up (you need them to hold the goodies) and put it under the broiler. It will only take a few minutes and you will know it is done when the edges of the squash start to brown a little bit and the brown sugar/butter that has splashed up on top of the squash lip starts to carmelize. Take it out of the oven and serve, but warn people that it will be piping hot. Nothing sucks more than burning the taste off of your tongue.