I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Corny Corn Bread

I recently found a good recipe for corn bread in Cook's Illustrated. It is pretty tasty and goes very well with chili.



Corny Corn Bread

1 ½ cups flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
¾ t salt
¼ cup brown sugar
¾ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
8 T butter, melted

1) Heat oven to 400 with rack in the middle.
2) Grease an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.
3) Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
4) Blend the brown sugar, corn, buttermilk and eggs until well combined.
5) Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and dump in the wet ingredients.
6) Fold the mixture until just combined. Add melted butter and fold until dry ingredients are just moistened.
7) Pour into the greased baking dish. Bake uncovered until nice and brown and a toothpick comes out clean. About 25 to 35 minutes.