I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Deer Season

I am planning on hunting with a group of guys for the 2nd Iowa shotgun deer season. I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum equipped with a fully rifled slug barrel. This is the gun that I lent to my friend Marky Mark. He shot a wild boar with it. I have some improvements planned before the season starts.

Yesterday I went to the courthouse and switched my Kentucky license to an Iowa license. Then I went to Shopper's Supply and got a hunting license and a deer tag. I also bought some Winchester Sabot slugs.

I took some of them out last night for a test firing. They shot pretty well out of my gun. They have a vicious kick though. My shoulder is bruised this morning.

My next project is to mount a sling on the shotgun. I considered bringing it to a gunsmith to have it done. Here are the problems with this approach. First, how can I possibly trust someone I don't know to modify my shotgun and do it correctly? Second, who knows how long it will take some yahoo to do it? Good men are incredibly rare in all fields nowadays. It is highly unlikely that there would be a reliable gunsmith in this area who will do the job right and get it done in a reasonable amount of time. By reasonable I mean before the season starts. All things considered I decided to learn how to do it myself and buy the correct tools for the job. I will have coverage of the installation when the tools arrive.