I always try to eat delicious food. Unfortunately I don't have that much money, so I have to cook a lot of it at home. But thats OK because I love cooking and I love eating at home with my wife. This is a website with my favorite recipes and a little bit of commentary.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Debates tonight

Actually I was wrong, the presidential debate is tonight. I can't wait. Last night we watched another hour of Lonesome Dove. Remember? It was that miniseries with Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Glover, Ricky Schroeder and the rest? Its awesome and we watch it once a year. I think amazon has the whole 6 hour deal for under $12.

The reubens were good, but tonight is a whole different story. I am pretty sure that the authorities need to be alerted. Someone HAS to put a stop to all this delicious food! I got tonight's recipe out of GQ magazine a couple years ago. I subscribe because of the articles. In fact, those people who are saying that they read playboy for the articles have no excuse. The articles in GQ are just as good and there are no nudie pics. The recipe comes from a diner in Los Angeles that all these Hollywood types eat at. I had never eaten chicken a la king before, but the ingredients sounded so good that I just had to try it. Both my wife and I love it and this is one of our favorite dishes. I hope you will like it too, but this is another one of those times that you need to have people around you when you eat it. You might faint or even worse your head might explode.

Chicken A La King

5 1/2 T Butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cream
1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breast sliced into pieces.
2 T sherry
fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
8 ounces mushrooms (white and sliced)
4 ounce jar of pimentos

Texas Toast Garlic Bread



1. Melt 4 T butter in a pan and whisk in flour over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add chicken broth and whisk. Whisk in the milk and raise heat to medium-high, bring to a simmer whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk to remove any lumps. Return to heat and bring to a simmer and cook for one minute. Add in the chicken, sherry, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

2. In a pan over medium heat melt 1 1/2 T butter and saute the mushrooms. Add with the pimentos to the chicken.

3. To serve, spoon the chicken mixture over Texas Toast Garlic Bread cut on the diagonal.

4. Texas Toast is that thick cut white bread. To make it into garlic bread, lightly butter both sides and sprinkle with garlic salt. Broil in the oven on each side until toasty.